> Umbrella Rig

Umbrella Rig

| Comments Off

My latest obsession with fishing rigs. Among all the rigs I've learned to create, this is the hardest but is highly effective. This rig is little known among bait fishing anglers & is not popular due to it's complicated construction. Most anglers also perceive this rig as meant for small fish due to the use of thin lines & small hooks. I find these rigs most effective for Tilapia & Keli.




There are 3 variations of the rig meant for different presentations.

Design A
I just simply call this, Design A as this was the very first one that a fellow angler taught me. It has no sinkers, so all weight is coming from the groundbait  & hooks. This rig is great for presentation right at the bottom where there isn't much vegetation & mud. Best presentation on sand based bottoms.

This is also the most finesse among the designs.



Design B








I call this Design B as it is a variation from Design A. To fish this rig properly, you'll need a long rod (at least 7ft) as the presentation is to only cast a short distance out & by using the sinker as an anchor on the bottom to pull the bait vertically higher off the bottom. Best used when fishing in muddy or thick vegetation on the bottom.



Design C



Then perhaps my personal creation, something that I have not seen anyone else using. Design C, the floating variant. I came out with this rig solely for the purpose of fishing Red Tilapia which is a top water feeder. This is also the most complicated design by far.












Some of the fishes I've landed successfully with the umbrella rig.


Success!


A Pacu with pellet bait.

A large Red Tilapia with pellet bait

Another mix breed Tilapia with pellet bait

Powered by Blogger.